Alongside our Trust values of Respect, Resilience and Resourcefulness, children at Unicorn Primary School learn and work to keep their ‘Unicorn Promise’ which sums up our approach and what we stand for:
Believe in yourself
Strive to achieve
Respect yourself and others
Solve your problems
You can do it!
Ethos & Values
At Unicorn Primary School we have high expectations for each and every one of the children in our care, irrespective of their ability or background. All children are expected to work hard and challenge themselves to be the very best that they can be. It is our intention that all our children develop a love of learning that will remain with them throughout their life.
To this end, we make learning rich, engaging and fun wherever possible. We encourage our children to recognize that it is acceptable to make mistakes as this is an important part of the learning process. Praise and positive encouragement are key elements of our approach, as we believe that children with high self-esteem and a ‘can do’ approach to learning achieve more.
High standards of behaviour are also a key expectation of life at Unicorn; our children understand that good manners, respect and an open-minded attitude to differences is essential. We place a strong emphasis on personal responsibility and self-regulation, and help each child to develop the confidence to ‘make the right decisions’ for themselves.
It is the mission of everyone involved with Unicorn Primary School to provide the highest quality education in a caring and secure environment in which children thrive and have the confidence not only to succeed but also to take risks with their learning.
Our Aims and Objectives
- To provide a caring atmosphere in which our children can develop their skills and abilities in all curriculum areas and fulfil their potential.
- To ensure that staff and children will be able to participate in every aspect of school life, within the school community, whatever their needs or abilities.
- To foster an environment in which children and staff have high self-esteem and the confidence to achieve the highest standards.
- To harness our children’s natural curiosity, encouraging a lifelong thirst for learning.
- To stimulate our children to develop enquiring minds and the confidence to pose questions and discuss ideas rationally.
- To help our children to understand that learning is an exciting challenge, part of which is taking risks and learning from mistakes.
- To encourage our children to take a pride in their achievements and appreciate the value of hard work.
- To promote an understanding of and care for the environment both within the school and the outside world.
- To encourage children and staff to have the confidence to grasp opportunities afforded by new technologies.
- To encourage parents to become partners in their child’s education and support the school’s focus on expected standards of behaviour.
- To enrich our children’s knowledge of the diversity of the world we live in and develop a respect for other cultures, races and religions.